Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Words, words, words

Shout out to Anonymous: I liked the George Saunders quote. I'm not sure I'll be turning any of my characters into milkshake slurping chimpanzees with marital problems (and to be honest, I prefer the realistic description, "Lisa sat at a black table," to "Lisa languished in an obsidian abyss"), but I adored the comment. I have half a mind to think that you're my mom commenting anonymously, but Saunders isn't her style. You're too pretentious and self-reflectively clever to be my mother. I wish I knew your identity. Anonymous.

Well, I was going to title this blog post "Bringing Up Baby" and discuss my flickering yen for an infant, but the literary comment put me in a different mind frame. I've been trying the writing thing, but I'm not sure I like it. I have fun for a while typing away at a short story, but when I read it the next day I think, yeesh. I have very high standards and a good eye for talent, which is why I'm a good literary critic. But, these same high standards and instinct for artistry leave me with no option but to chuck my stories in the trash. I think nonfiction is more my forte, and I'm just not sure yet whether that nonfiction has to be critical or theoretical to be decent. I hope not, because I kind of kicked that career to the curb by leaving graduate school to live in Portland with T-money, but I have to admit that the best writing I do is the dramaturgical stuff for the theatre. So...we'll see.

Perhaps Lisa will be in that obsidian abyss before long.

2 comments:

  1. What would it matter? Even if I gave you my name and other particulars, I would still remain anonymous to you in any meaningful sense. I'm just some person living on the same continent as you. (I assume you're American.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your identity doesn't matter. I'm just not used to someone who is not related to me reading the blog. I love it; thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete