Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Ever Plant Yielding Seed

Behold, sayeth the Lord, I have given you ever plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth (Gen 1:29).

Party on, spoketh my student, who made the claim in his homework assignment today that laws against marijuana segregate people just as harmfully as racial segregation once did, and who used the above biblical quote to back his claim, just like MLK in his "Letter from Birmingham Jail."

On the one hand, I have to give him props for recognizing a successful rhetorical strategy and mimicking it in his own argument.

On the other hand, WHAT???

When I stop laughing over the phrase, "It fits right in when how segregation is unholy," and cease imagining ascetic potheads taking to the desert with only a bong and some Cheetos to protest their adherence to the five-fingered leaf god, I will find something pithy to say about the fact that my student compared access to drugs with a law that limited black people's access to human rights.

LOOK OUT: Now that my nuptials are really drawing nigh, I think it's time to revisit the Ghosts of Boyfriends Past. Coming soon, the Sensitive Ghoul of the Nascent Indie Rock Scene. He came, he sang, he...well you'll just have to read it now, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment