Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sola

T's out of town and I'm constructing a perfect bachelorette Sunday. So far it has involved tea drinking on the couch while catching up on food blogs. I should go look at the NYT, but I've been finding American politics increasingly frustrating, polarized and transparently ineffective (these last two qualities work in tandem). Even the mystery novel appearance of Iran's nuclear letter failed to do anything but trigger my inner skeptic. Is John Le Carre is running the world now?

So rather than be a responsible patriot and dwell of the show trial of American politics, I'm going to visit the Irvington Farmer's Market, meet a friend for coffee, and cook dinner with another friend this evening (butternut squash gnocchi in sage brown butter). I may also make an amazing brunch for one with my market finds, some concoction with fresh cheese and heirloom tomatoes and local sausage and my homemade broa.

Ah broa! I've just discovered it; I baked it by accident. Broa is what happens when you combine regular flour with fine cornmeal, add yeast, salt and water, and bake it into a fine crusty wheel. It's a South American bread, I believe, and its barely sweet, slightly salty, moist, dense crumb is perfect for cheese or sopping in stews. It would be equally good flattened into a pizza crust or studded with salami, sharp cheese and olives. I've just made my last loaf from the dough and can't decide whether or not to bake it right up again, or go back to my challah, which was such a resounding success last week for Rosh Hashanah that my parents abducted the second loaf and left T and I crumbless.

Tomorrow is Yom Kippur, day of atonement, so baking challah or bagels today would be appropriate. My family and I will be fasting all day tomorrow and the knowledge that homemade carbohydrates await at the end of the tunnel of atonement might make the day less dreadful. It's not that we're religious Jews (my father announced that he was a pagan several Hannukahs ago, and we have Christmas stockings, if that helps clarify our collective divinity), but the one day of fasting is a cultural reminder that most Jews (my great-grandparents included) grew up poor and hungry in the old country, and that many non-Jews in America today will "fast" tomorrow because they have no cash for food. Here I am rhapsodizing about heirloom tomatoes and someone next door could be dreaming about having enough food to feed her kids this week. I don't think it's bad for me to care about food, perhaps especially because it's wrapped up in an interest in community, farming and environmentalism (or is that just a self-gratifying excuse?), but sometimes I think T and I should turn our once-yearly contribution to the Oregon Food Bank into a monthly thing. I mean, we don't have much, but we have much more than others. Yom Kippur makes you think like that.

But I've gotten away from my Sola Sunday. It's 9am and high time I trek to the market. After all, I have a busy day of relaxing ahead of me. Time to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment