Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Minutiae

Manic schedule, no time to blog. Just wanted to say that it's exciting to be receiving more comments, even if they are posted by "anonymous" (be a man and give yourself a more telling pseudonym!). I thought of a good idea for a short story today, about a pathetic but dangerous bookstore lackey who slowly begins to sabotage his place of employment, beginning with minor annoyances (removing the rubber tips from the door stoppers, say) and ending in some sort of uncomfortable, if not cataclysmic, violence.

No, the lackey isn't me. I have a male in mind, balding, soft, perpetually sweaty, with eczema on the crown of his head. The kind of guy you don't want to be too nice to, lest he get the wrong idea.

One day, when life is less hectic, I'll try to write it. In the mean time, back to grading essays!

3 comments:

  1. "Anonymous" is a perfectly acceptable cyber-marker, and traditionally Anonymous (Anon, to his friends) has been the most prolific of writers, painters, composers since the beginnings of the human record. I give you this medieval poem by Anon...

    Of Alphus

    No egg on Friday Alph will eat,
    But drunken he will be on Friday
    still.
    O, what a pure, religious man is he.

    Just don't confuse me with that other Anonymous - the "Say it, Sister" Anonymous. I've no idea who that is and, gratefully, never will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say it, Anonymous! I couldn't have expressed it better myself. And, believe me, the feeling of gratitude is mutual. Besides, we don't really know who "Little Chef" is, or this T-man person.
    A Little Chef by any other name is still anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the minor annoyances of the bookstore lackey should last for a long time, until they slowly drive the the other bookstore employees mad... leaving them to inflict the "uncomfortable, if not cataclysmic, violence" on each other, while pathetic-but-dangerous-bookstore-lackey watches from afar, his hands - technically, if not morally - clean of major wrong-doing.

    All his work done, of course, anonymously.

    ReplyDelete