Friday, March 21, 2008

Hating to be that bride, but...


Why is wedding hair so awful? I've been engaged for almost five months now; I have the dress, I have the location, the food, the invitations (almost), the bridal party, the bridal tea, the groom, but I can't find a decent hairstyle that doesn't look self-consciously retro and alternative, sculpted, or trashy-mid-Western-I-love-my-curling-iron-and-it-loves-me. I know that this is a trifling matter, and I really do concern myself with more worldly matters (Obama or Hillary, roast or risotto, spend the rest of my life as a depressed bookstore lackey or pursue a full time teaching career despite the extra effort, etc.), but damn it I'm a girl and I want to look GORGEOUS when I marry. Especially since I think I'm going to have to give up on the whole having heaving breasts goal. Good hair is more attainable, if more ephemeral, than growing breasts on my tiny frame. And it bounces! So the two are not inseparable. I can displace my desire for flowing, soft, luscious breasts onto my already flowing, soft, wavy (messy, dirty) hair. I'm thinking of either a spritely fairy look augmented by one hot pink blossom or a more muted but still romantic updo decorated with leaves, vines, or little flowers (see middle photo). I love my dress for its romantic, vintage, ethereal simplicity, and my hair should follow suit.

Abrupt subject change. Someone wrote a comment on my blog! This is very exciting. I was a little turned off by the commentator's possessiveness over a "catchphrase mark" that's apparently all over my blog (what is it, I wonder?), but pleased as punch that someone other than my cousin read my blog, and wasn't completely turned off by my interest in breasts, Battlestar Gallactica, food and pretentious vocabulary words. Actually, I bet there are a lot of men out there who would love a girl with sci-fi, breast, food, and language hobbies. You know what? I'm a frickin' hot nerd!

My only quibble with this self-identification is that nerds are traditionally good at math and science, and my math and science skills are abysmal. Science is okay, actually, as long as it remains theoretical or is biology. But math? Ew. Truly unpleasant. I'd actually rather eat a cooked raisin.

Which brings me to the food portion of this evening's blog. I haven't made anything interesting in the last couple of days, but I'm planning on making a magnificent cake next week (red velvet, maybe, or a chocolate coconut) and a savory bread pudding that I found in a Moosewood Cookbook. It uses stale bread, which is great because I baked a huge cottage loaf that I'll never finish in time, eggs, milk, cheese, scallions, and salt and pepper. I might throw in some ham or sausage and serve a salad. I had sausage tonight, roasted until crisp, with very thin toasted slices of cottage loaf spread thinly with sweet-spicy Russian mustard, and served alongside roasted carrots and asparagus. A big glass of chardonnay completed the meal, as did a handful of chocolate chips (I'm out of breast cake). I missed the fiance's company, but it was also nice to just read and eat. I'm reading Anna Karenina right now and the meal complemented the chapter I was reading on hunting and picnicking.

I love crafting my meals based on the books I'm reading. Karenina makes me want to cook blini, and eat pirogi and asparagus and champagne. Fantasy novels make me crave sharp cheese, apples and bread, and Indian novels definitely ramp up my curry production. Even English novels make me hungry for tea and biscuits. Speaking of which, I wish I had some McCavites digestives right now. I think I'll go in search of a late night snack.

Until next time, Little Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment