Saturday, June 19, 2010

Waiting on the Cake

It's late, I'm waiting for the half-pound cake in the oven to rise to its golden domed climax (oh my) and rest into its cooling stage before tucking myself in. Tybalt is raging around the room , chasing one of those white bulk bag twist ties that I hoard in the small appliance drawer in the kitchen for reasons unknown even to myself.

Tom and I went to the wine country last Sunday.


Wildflowers, and small grape vines, Gewurtraminer and Pinot Grigio, and dry salami on rosemary crackers in the sunshine. And time alone with T. It was a good day.

It occurs to me, in my baby-addled mind, that these impromptu trips to the movies, the pub, our favorite wineries, will probably disappear when we start making little Waltons next year. Not that I don't intend to haul said tiny Waltons wherever I wish to go, but I need to start savoring these moments with T. Too often we get wrapped up in our lives and I forget to value him as much as I should.

It's been raining again, all week, cool and gray, making this a good weekend to prepare a Father's Day-Parents' 34th Wedding Anniversary feast for my family. I wish the date didn't coincide with Finals Grading Weekend and Theatre Audition Extravaganza (one audition today, call-backs tomorrow, followed by a first read of our summer beach show), but I have the Fennel Honey Pork Loin marinating, the pate fermentee for the baguettes fermenting, the pound cake baking, and a lovely roast beet and carrot salad, mashed potatoes with caramelized fennel and young Walla Walla onion, and a velvety butter lettuce salad waiting to be made tomorrow. My father asked for the homemade bread, roast pork and strawberry shortcake; I am surreptitiously adding beets to the menu to show my family that, when cooked properly and laced with my mom's Italian herb vinegar and olive oil, they can be quite nice.

One day, if I open the Ramona St Keep, I will serve this simple beet salad, maybe adorned with fresh thyme and a soft white cheese. The recipe comes from my CSA farmers, who adapted it from the Chez Panisse Vegetables cookbook. It made a convert out of me, especially the next day wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla with creamy avocado slices and cheddar cheese. But I eat weird lunches.

The Beets that will Change your Mind

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the beet tops (you can save these for another recipe--I chopped and sauteed them, and added them to a quiche), leaving about 1/2 inch stem. Wash the beets and cut in half. Put them into a baking pan with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, until easily pierced with a knife. Uncover and allow to cool. Slip the skins off (this is quite fun) and cut off their tops and tails. Cut them into quarters or slices, sprinkle with at least 1 tsp vinegar (the recipe suggests sherry vinegar, but I used my mom's homemade herb vinegar to delicious results) and salt to taste. Let stand for a few minutes to allow the beets to absorb the flavors. Toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil and enjoy, warm or cold.

*If you want to add carrots, as I'm doing tomorrow, simply blanch the carrots in boiling water for around two minutes--until just tender--and cut into chunks or coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment