Saturday, May 16, 2009

Moral Reasoning and the Great Acne Adventure

I've just now finished writing my lesson plan on moral reasoning for Monday. I'm tired and shouldn't be blogging. I should be in bed reading the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. But I feel like discussing my ridiculous travels through the limited diet world, because food is weighing on my mind.

For at least two months now I have abstained from eating dairy because I was beginning to get rheumatoid arthritis in my little finger, and dairy can aggravate arthritis. Cutting out the dairy has really helped, and I don't miss it that much. I eat lots of dark leafy greens and fortified rice milk to get my calcium.

Then T told me that wheat can aggravate acne, which I have in spades lately, the really lovely kind that sits in huge lumps under the skin looking and acting for all the world like underwater volcanoes. So I decided to abstain from wheat as well, and have been getting progressively better at baking with gluten-free flours. Unfortunately, my gluten orthodoxy has yielded nothing but a longing for my baking stone and a taste for brown rice flour scones; the acne remains, uglier by the day.

I think I can deduce that neither dairy nor wheat cause my acne. I'm still abstaining just in case, and because--to be honest--I feel more energetic with less wheat in my system. But I'll probably reintegrate some bread after seeing my naturopath.

So I'm down to the remaining dietary culprits for acne: soy, sugar, corn, caffeine.

I can live without milk, cheese and yogurt.

I can live without corn.

I can even live without wheat.

And I don't drink a lot of coffee.

But no sugar?

Do you know all of the delicious dishes made possible by a dash of brown sugar or honey?

Sauteed greens with tamari and sugar; Thai peanut sauce; tomato sauce; coleslaw; vinaigrette; every conceivable baked good, including bread and gluten-free goodies; dark chocolate; orange chicken; Vietnamese chicken and beef salads. Coconut curry.

I like sugar. Sugar is delicious. And it's not as though I can replace the maple syrup on my oatmeal with something savory like Parmesan cheese, because cheese is off limits.

I'm an epicurean trapped in the frustrated, pimply, arthritic body of a 28-year old book clerk. Yuck! I sound like an unlikeable character in one of Dostoevsky's short stories.

I don't know. There's really no point to this blog, other than catharsis. I will get to the bottom of my skin troubles one way or another, and I intend to enlist my naturopath in the hunt for a solution. Until then, though, I'm a little bit hungry and a lot bit zitty.

And I don't like either condition one bit.

1 comment:

  1. :(

    starting to get rheumatoid arthritis in your little finger? Just one? That would be an odd presentation of rheumatoid arthritis. Not impossible, but... hmm. Does it hurt when you leave it limp and move it with the other hand? If not, then I'm dubious.

    ReplyDelete