Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow Angels

It's snowing!

The first, and possibly only, snowfall of the year is blanketing our pretty city. The roads are icy, the wind is vicious, and people are in the kind of festive mood usually reserved for Christmas morning and the first sunny day after our long, rainy winters. I made a delicious breakfast strata with sage pork sausage, cheddar, the bread crusts from my bridal tea, eggs, and milk, which we ate on the couch watching Survivor. I walked to the wine store to buy a birthday gift for my dad, and the snow and cold made the barrel-filled shop feel all the more rich and inviting. I bought myself a vanilla latte (an unusual luxury) and a coffee for the homeless guy selling newspapers outside the coffee shop. The cat's been alternating playing the snow and snuggling in our laps, and T-money's playing WOW. And now I'm home baking whole wheat bread and wondering how on earth we're going to traverse the steep hill to my parents' house in our not-4 wheel drive vehicles.

I should definitely be cleaning out my closet, which is a disaster, but it's so much nicer to be spending my one day off a week sitting on the couch, blogging and reading the dumb and yet incredibly alluring fantasy series T's got me hooked on. I've also been daydreaming about my cousin's wedding, because she called me this morning to tell me she's engaged, and I'm so happy for her! I get to be the matron of honor! (How weird is that: matron of honor? I should have a enormous bosom and shrill, commanding voice. Time to get out the breast cake again.) It's especially nice, because she made my wedding so wonderful, and now I get to reciprocate. I also get to write an equivalently mortifying wedding speech, but enough of that because K is the only person who reads my blog on a regular basis, and I don't want her getting any ideas.

So...it's nice to be snug in the apartment on a wickedly cold and happy day with my adorable husband, who "erroneously" claims to be wasting away. ("Erroneous" is his addition to this blog post. He loves the word, and uses it incorrectly as often as possible.) Soon we'll venture out into the cold, but for now we'll sit content, cozy and still.

1 comment:

  1. I should have seen that coming....lol
    PS - do this kind of writing. You so captured the spirit of the day. I can see you writing wonderful novels about PEOPLE in their everyday moments.

    ReplyDelete