Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Proud to be an American

I'm used to belittling that phrase, "proud to be an American." For a long time now, patriotism has been co-opted by country music and the Republican Party. And the redefinition of "patriot" to mean card-carrying member of the NRA, pro-lifer, evangelical Christian, conservative, middle class, war mongerer, borderline xenophobe has exempted me from even wanting to participate in the American collective. In fact, most of the educated people I know are cynical bastards for whom faith in the democratic process is a sign of idiocy.

So it is with trepidation, shyness, and not a small degree of social fear that I say tonight that I am proud to be an American.

Tonight we elected Barack Obama to the presidency. And while I know that this election is only the tip of the iceberg and that it will take years to correct our economy, our global standing, and the national infrastructure, I have never before felt so hopeful about a leader. Not only did Americans finally manage to elect someone intelligent to the position, but he's the first black president of the United States. And while I resented McCain's emphasis on Obama's race in his concession speech, which stripped Obama and his campaign of any significance and accomplishment beyond being historic, the fact that he's black really is incredible.

Listening to President Obama's acceptance speech tonight was the first time that I agreed, "yes we can." It was the first time in a long time that I thought, the democratic ideals of justice and liberty are still accessible to us; we can begin to make up for the last eight years of greed and corruption and cruelty; we have the power to mend education, health care and environmental policy--we just have to roll up our sleeves and do it.

Tonight I feel like action is possible.
My sleeves are ready.
Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment