Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It Isn't Easy Being Green

I wonder if I should begin cultivating the Depression-era eccentricities of the World War II generation, like collecting bits of string and reusing old tea bags. It probably wouldn't hurt to begin clipping coupons, but coupons are almost never for the organic and local foods I like to buy. On the other hand, eating only seasonal produce would definitely help cut down on costs. I really need to start doing that.

Okay, I'm getting off track. What I mean to be talking about is the current fiscal crisis. It's apparent that the good old days of capitalistic excess are waning, and a deep pit of debt awaits my generation and those who'll come after us (presuming humanity doesn't destroy the planet, and the Republicans don't destroy civilization, before future generations can begin repaying China). No one is saying the word "depression" yet, but with banks floundering and the job and housing markets in arrears, it's pretty clear that fewer of us are residing on Easy Street., and even fewer can anticipate doing so any time soon.

I discovered today that I make so little money as a part-time adjunct professor and full-time bookseller (note: 50-70 hours of work per week) that I actually qualify for food stamps. I won't use them, because government assistance should only be for those people who genuinely can't get on by themselves, but it's scary to know that in 21st century America a woman with two graduate degrees and a healthy work ethic isn't making much more money than a McDonald's employee. This is our position in history. Intellectuals are relegated to the societal refuse heap while corporate bimbos (male and female) climb the socioeconomic ladder; my only solace is that with the way the economy is going, we're all pretty much fucked in the end. Those bimbos probably bought houses that they can't afford with subprime mortgages. Suckas!

I know that's not nice. I'm really just bitter that I chose the path of unlimited resistance and have no idea what I'm doing with my life. According to current cultural values I'm a useless person. I'm not a Christian; I make no money; I buy very little.

I don't know why this post is about me, when I meant to write about the fall of A.I.G. and Lehman Brothers. I guess because--like everyone--I'm now trying to understand what the future will look like. Will we soon be crowding at the docks for a day of hard labor, followed by a trip to the soup kitchen? Because that's basically what I do already, except that I make my own soup. How bad will it get?

There is a silver lining to all this chaos, however. And that is that we will have to mend our ways. Me, T, everyone. We'll have to save those bits of string, and learn to cook on an even leaner budget, and stop treating ourselves so much, even to little things like a drink out or a movie. We'll have to stay at home more with our families and play games and read. Talk. There are worse things, as long as we have enough to be healthy and safe. I just hope we haven't gotten so far away from the simple pleasure of togetherness that we are unable to return when times get even harder.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I am going to make my own coffee now to celebrate those simple pleasures. P is thinking of quiting and going to school full time. Very scary, very scary idea indeed.

    ReplyDelete